Cooking is one of my favorite things to do to decompress after a long writing session—or to avoid facing that blank page. I made this favorite chili recipe last Sunday during a rainy weekend. It’s my own recipe, honed over the years and requested by many friends. I always make this on Halloween night. Between the trick-or-treaters, my husband and I watch the Stanley Kubrick version of “The Shining.”
DIANNE’S WHITE LIGHTNING CHILI
by Dianne Emley
Two hours preparation (includes one hour cooking)
2 (16 oz) cans small white beans, rinsed in water and drained.
4 boneless chicken breasts
l large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp pickled jalapenos (or ½ fresh) minced for medium “heat.” Start with 1 tsp and adjust.
1 (10 ¾ oz) can cream of chicken soup
1 (4 oz can) diced green chilies (make sure they’re “green chilies,” not jalapenos)
3 cups chicken stock (start with 3 cups and add as needed)
1 tbsp ground cumin
3 tsp dried oregano, crushed
White pepper to taste
Salt to taste
2 tbsp vegetable oil for sautéing
Shredded jack cheese for garnish
- Brown chicken breasts in oil. Cube when cool.
- Sauté onions and garlic until soft in pan used for chicken.
- In Dutch oven or large, heavy pot, add all ingredients.
- Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cover with lid slightly ajar.
- Simmer an hour, stirring occasionally, adjusting seasonings and liquid.
- Garnish each serving with cheese.